Tuesday, May 5, 2015

golden rule

passing thought (not fully fleshed out):
the weird thing about the golden rule ("treat others as you would yourself") is that it sorta doesn't take into account empathy, sometimes.

Everybody has different standards of how they want to be treated.
Some people think traveling to see a friend is a given or no big deal. Or opening up your house is easy. Or giving life updates frequently. Or being in near-constant communication. Or being invited to all the activities. It's not always friendship either. Even random acquaintances. If you want to be approached, if you want to be left alone. If you want someone to pry, if you want silence or space.

So now the thinking diverges into two different paths. One, how I view a relationships if they cannot do the things I would do for them. And two, how my friends actually want to be treated (i.e. if they would actually appreciate the things I appreciate).

The first thought is, admittedly, slightly.... restrictive? in the sense that you expect something. "I put in this, I get this out". I travel to see you, you travel to see me.
Maybe. Maybe not. After all, a friendship is strongest when it's a two way street.

The second thought touches more, perhaps, on love languages. How you want to receive love, how you give love, what you treasure more.


... okay. No real point. Just a passing thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment