Sunday, May 8, 2016

Reminder. Dissemination.

This is probably the weirdest quirk of mine because nobody I know does this. Or maybe people do. And nobody talks about it.

I reminded myself who I am again today.
It's an exercise of understanding myself. Or naval-gazing, if you want to half-joke, half-insult. Sometimes I do it for other people just to see if I could condense what I know of someone into a few paragraphs.

I don't want who I am to bleed out into the corners of the world, like watercolors bleed into its surroundings.

I've heard it done in a simplified version like this:
Write down "I am _____" x10 on a paper. Now fill it in.
You will realize that the first few, you give generic answers.
I am a daughter.
I am a student.
I am religious.
I am a lawyer.
I am whatever.

But when you run out of those social identities. You start putting in what you think of yourself.

I am an introvert.
I am good at reading quickly.
I am sometimes a mean person because I thought I was being clever.

Whatever.

Regardless. These days. I have been forgetting who I am as a side effect of trying to be adaptable. So today I reminded myself of the things that I cannot compromise. Of the things that would break me. Of the things I want to change and the things I hope.

In the end. I know who I am.
And what can anyone say that I do not already know of myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment