Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Of Doing

Wineries with dear friends and sleepovers.

On the last weekend of my Fredericksburg rotation, my small group girls came up to visit me and do wine tastings and sleepovers and delicious food outings.

The weather sucked. It was grey skies, sheer rain that felt like walking in cold mist, and a chilly wind that slithered under your coat. But it couldn't stop the laughter, warmth of conversation, and talks that made us feel known.

I've never done a wine tasting, and I am really, really glad they came so I could. The small sips of wine, the rolling of the wrist to swirl the wine, discussing with the employees about the delicate flavors, moving from dry white to rose to full-bodied reds to sweet whites and dessert. Tasting the wood and cherry, and thinking about what kind of wine I like. It was a lot of fun.

And then taking a bottle to just sit down and talk. It was what I hope in my friendships. It's not the 4 am, soul-baring discussions - but it was a talk of learning and struggles and emotions and of this is who i am and where i am at and just thank you God for putting these girls in my life. All of with a glass of red at my lips and the cold wet mist on our cheeks.

We karaoked and danced around the room and ate cookies and laughed too hard. My throat hurt after it all, my cheeks hurt from smiling. We talked through the night and fell asleep talking. We woke up and did it all over again. I am extremely grateful that I somehow did not run out of emotional energy throughout the whole week.

Friendship is a wondrous thing, more beautiful than jewels, more precious than gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment