Thursday, June 26, 2014

Killing with kindness

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/trevinwax/2014/06/25/the-kindness-that-will-kill-your-church/

This is one of the truest, most applicable things I have read in a while that I need to constantly remind myself about.

There are many times, especially with some MBS topics, where I really do lean towards the "live and let live" mentality.

Imposing morality or my viewpoint is always a tricky thing to say.
Of course, the counterargument is that "tolerance" has become a viewpoint that is imposed on everyone else nowadays. And if you disagree with anything that isn't considered p.c. and tolerant, you are sorta shunned as well. It's the idea that no one can live without some sort of faith. Even atheists believe in something.
(super rough condensations of various philosophy).

How many times do I guard my tongue in fear of offending? Many, probably. 

-interlude thought-
But I wonder about the extent of law and imposition on a larger scale. It is one thing to speak truth to a friend and another to make a law based on morals. 
After all, if the law were to ban Christian practice, there is no way we could just meekly agree and stop.
So how can we stop something like gay marriage in terms of law? Doesn't mean we agree with it, doesn't mean we think it's necessarily right, but in terms of freedom of religion and such, is it right that we stop it? 


No comments:

Post a Comment