Tuesday, June 24, 2014

required ted talk

"And shame is really easily understood as the fear of disconnection: Is there something about me that, if other people know it or see it, that I won't be worthy of connection? The things I can tell you about it: it's universal; we all have it. The only people who don't experience shame have no capacity for human empathy or connection. No one wants to talk about it, and the less you talk about it the more you have it.  

What underpinned this shame, this "I'm not good enough," -- which we all know that feeling: "I'm not blank enough. I'm not thin enough, rich enough, beautiful enough, smart enough, promoted enough." The thing that underpinned this was excruciating vulnerability, this idea of, in order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen, really seen."

https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability/transcript#t-482000    

- Brené Brown
  

Posted for later thinking. 

I listened read the transcript of this ted talk and some of it rang true through the first read. Stuff about people with the least amount of shame had a correlation with the ability to be courageous enough to be vulnerable and be imperfect. 
  
It's a little curious when I measure it up to people who I know and myself. 

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I like Brene Brown a LOT!!! She's a prof at UH school of social work -- awesome lady, thoughtful research, and good book reccs. =D

    ReplyDelete