Thursday, January 28, 2016

Beautiful things

To close out this day, I had the unfortunate pleasure of having one of those conversations where I could not say anything right with a acquainta-friend. It was essentially... one unfortunate comment after the other, followed by did-i-really-just-say-that questions. I can only look back at that conversation and laugh and cringe at the same time. It's one of those conversations that make me think I should never try to talk to anyone ever again because holy crap, I am so awkward I might even be on the Asperger scale or something and gracious it'd be better if I just shut my mouth and not interacted with anybody.

REGARDLESS, to mitigate thinking too much, went for a run (and it was a good run, yes).

But when coming back home, it was the crisp air on my warm cheeks, night time where the street lights glow over the asphalt, and I am so acutely aware of the movements of my limbs as I walk after running for so long. I closed my eyes and was reminded of the midnight walks on the Inner Loop where it just felt like the world was empty and so large, so vast, and the quietness was inherent in the bones. And I look up and there is the night sky. It is beautiful. You might have no idea how beautiful it is tonight. But the little winks of light just hang in the dark gray sky and it is so bright. It's just breathtaking. I couldn't help myself but lie down on one of those recliners besides the pool and look up and up at the sky. The sound of lapping waves at the pool, the wind brushing the leaves, the lights ghosting the underside of each leaf, and how lovely the darkness of the sky, studded with stars - just sprinkled across the sky as if someone had scattered them by the fistful and they just landed there. The coldness at my cheeks, shiver, numbness at my bare legs, my hands tucked into my jacket, and as I stare at the endless blanket of night sky, there is Gungor whispering into my ear, You make beautiful things.

And if you strip away words and indecision and arguments about theology and apologetics and social issues and inconsistencies...
You make beautiful things.

Isn't that truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment