Monday, January 18, 2016

Tired

How much are you supposed to love your job? Job Career. Career Job. ??

Talking to a surgery attending... he talks about going above and beyond. Scrubbing into as many cases as possible and staying until way late into the night voluntarily. Picking up cases that aren't his. Being eager.

I am interested. But I don't know if I am eager. Is that enough?
I like everything I've seen so far. But to be a good doctor/surgeon/physician/health care worker, do you need to immerse yourself in it?

If my "official work time" is over, sometimes I just want to go home and lay on the couch and not scrub into another gallbladder. Or if I'm sitting in the control room watching intermittent radiographs of a AAA, bored as hell because I literally can't do anything... and it's already 6 pm and they're probably going to take another 2-3 hours... and they say you can leave if you want....(even though it's a case you probably won't see for a really long time, and it's the first one done in this hospital with this type of endograft, and you don't want to miss this! etc etc)
Do I still need to stay to impress them???

If I leave... Is that laziness or just common sense?

How much of this is supposed to consume your life?

Or am I just lazy/tired/a bad student?

ughhhhhh

----

and the flip side argument.
I am here to learn. I am actually paying to learn.
Why wouldn't I want to take advantage of everything I see right now?
Shouldn't I be excited to go into all of these things?
Think of all the hoops a pre-med student would have to jump just to observe these things, much less first assist or close.
And wouldn't you rather learn your mistakes now than later?

ughhhhhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment